Personas are made up of broadly generalized characters that aim to comprehensively include the diverse needs, goals and observed behavior patterns among real and potential customers. Personas empower organizations to better understand its customers. Without personas, organizations are most likely guessing what content its audience desires. This results in creating content, products and services centered around what you know best, rather than around what your organization’s customers actively seek.
Attributes for quality personas include:
- Indicates observed patterns during research
- Focuses on the present state and not the future state
- Are practical and not idealized
- Illustrates a difficult but not impossible design target
- Assists organizations users’ context, behaviors, attitudes, needs, challenges, goals and motivations
Persons provide organizations the ability to better focus its marketing to the right consumers in the right places, therefore giving organizations the opportunity to generate quality leads. Personas construct consistent and specific understandings of each target group of customers within an organization.
Companies that incorporate personas as representations of users based off user research goals, needs and interests will help businesses better understand the needs and wants of its customer base.