A high performance team consists of individuals with defined functions and complementary abilities, who maintain common goals, and who time and time again display high levels of collaborative innovation that creates high level outcomes. High performance teams often have strong levels of support and camaraderie with focus on specific tasks.
High performance teams have highly skilled members with strong leadership. At times, leadership roles are shared among members according to the specific needs at the moment and maintain strong sense of accountability for achieving its goals.
Characteristics of high performance teams include:
- Members have strong trust in one another and in the team’s mission
- Everyone works to achieve the common goals
- Members understand how to collaborate and how to achieve goals
- Team members have extensive conversations and all member have the opportunity to contribute
- Each person carries his own weight and highly regards the team processes and others
Members of high performing teams often maintain that the collaborative team environment is fulfilling to work on because members work at their highest potential and learn along the way.