High performance teams are composed of individuals with specific roles and complementary talents and skills. The team shares the same vision and is committed to a common purpose.
High performance teams produce high levels of collaboration and innovation, generally resulting with superior results.
Members of high-performance team are highly skilled and are able to interchange their roles. Additionally, team leadership is not vested in a single individual. The leadership role is taken up by various team members, according to the needs of the organization and team at the time.
There is a sense of clear focus and intense energy inherent in high-performance teams. As a group, the team has its own consciousness, indicating shared norms and values within the team. The team maintains a strong sense of accountability for achieving their goals.
The following characteristics will help you create your organization’s high performance team:
• Participative Leadership – Use a leadership style that involves and engages team members.
• Effective Decision-Making – Employ a mix of rational and intuitive decision making methods.
• Open & Clear Communication – Make certain your team mutually constructs shared meaning and uses effective communication methods and channels.
• Value Diversity – Appreciating the experience and background of the group results in better decision making and solutions.
• Clear Goals – Goals must have individual meaning and resonates with each team member to increase commitment and engagement.
• Clear Roles & Responsibilities – Everyone understands their role and position to demonstrate their commitment to the team and to support team success.